Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Anchors Aweigh!

For the last couple of weeks, I have been working to construct a two-part exhibit on Beaumont’s and the McFaddins’ contributions to World War I. I look forward to the exhibit opening the first week of August and seeing the whole project put together. I have learned a great deal while doing my research and how much Beaumont and Texas sacrificed to help win the war.
 
I was amazed to learn that during the war, Texas mobilized over 128,000 men for service overseas, and Beaumont sent two National Guard companies to the newly-formed 36th Infantry Division. They trained at Camp Bowie near Fort Worth, Texas. Also during this time, many enlistees from the surrounding area were assigned to the famous 90th Division, which was largely composed of men from Texas and Oklahoma.  
 
Even civilians in Southeast Texas “did their bit” to help with the war effort. Beaumont was also a producer of food for the military and contributed rice, beef and other commodities. Many women and children helped by volunteering for war relief programs, such as for the Red Cross to roll bandages and assemble first aid kits.
 
One of the most interesting facts that I learned so far about Southeast Texas’ efforts has been that Beaumont had a major shipbuilding facility and was a major producer of fuel because of its proximity to massive oil deposits at Spindletop and the rest of the Gulf Coast. Even today, Beaumont remains an important refining center.
 
With my exhibit, I plan to showcase not just the men and women in uniform, but all those on the home front who contributed in so many important ways.

 

 
 A photograph of a newly constructed ship, the City of Beaumont, during its launch.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment